1. The purpose of the Spec Modified class is to provide a reasonably cost effect class to enjoy R/C car racing. It’s meant to be a step up from R/C Legends Racing since the car has the addition of an adjustable rear suspension.
2. The first rule is that if the rules do not specifically state that you can do something,
3. Race length will be 5 minutes.
1. Only genuine RJ SPEED Modified bodies are allowed as replacements
2. NO changes, except the addition of a spoiler, allowed from trim lines.
3. A maximum of ¼ inch tolerance for clearance around wheels up to the mold line between the side panel and “c” pillar extension.
4. No excessive cutouts around tie-rod and front axle plate areas.
5. Body must be painted & all windows clear.
6. Side windows may be cut out, not recommended.
7. A single plane spoiler or blade may be added to the rear of the body. Blade can measure no more than 1 inch above the top of the molded spoiler.
8. A Gurney lip or bend permitted at top of spoiler however is included in the 1 inch maximum overall spoiler length.
9. No other side plates, air dams or other aero devices of any sort permitted.
10. Rear “TV” panel may be removed at track/club/organizers discretion. a. When left intact, no venting holes or openings in the rear panel of the body.
11. No louvers or other aero devices to remove trapped air beneath body or chassis allowed anywhere on body or chassis.
12. No rollover or stiff antennas allowed.
13. Body must be on the car to be counted.
1. Absolutely no changes to the configuration of the chassis or cutting on the chassis parts. 2. No replacement parts of graphite or other higher tech materials.
3. No modifications or any kind to the Flex Plate, must remain as produced from RJS.
4. Upper suspension rods may be polished, lubed or coated with damping grease.
5. Fuel tubing used on upper suspension rods may be changed, lengthened, shortened or otherwise tweaked.
6. Springs used on upper suspension rods may be changed.
7. Any location of receiver and speed control is allowed.
8. Steering servo may be mounted on the front axle plate, or under the long battery tray (Optional part #5242 Legends Battery tray) Drilled holes allowed for servo mounts.
9. Complete factory front bumper must be on the car at the beginning of the race.
10. Ball bearings are allowed instead of Oilite bushings in PRO CLASS only.
11. Battery pack must remain in the stock location, down the center of the chassis beneath radio tray.
12. Weight of battery must be carried by the battery tray only. Chassis spacers or other devices may not be repositioned beneath batteries as a fastener. Use of 7/8’ wide Velcro wrap has been found to work well.
13. Use of optional rear ride height slugs permitted.
14. Ballast to bring car to legal weight must be securely fastened. Any lost ballast cannot be stacked with the car at post race tech.
1. No changes allowed to rear axle or differential.
2. Stock steel axles only. No graphite, fiberglass, titanium or other rear axles allowed. Polishing permitted.
3. Use of ball bearing in spur gear not allowed. Instead, use of Nylon bushing is permitted if factory axle is made to accept one.
4. Grinding or filing a flat or grub spot on axle for set screw hub retention permitted and recommended as shown in the kit instructions.
5. Use of “D” type diff rings permitted.
6. 48 pitch gears only. No 84, 64, 32 or other pitch gears permitted.
7. Use of Kimbrough Dust Covers optional.
8. Pinions must be 48 pitch and may be aluminum or steel.
9. No ceramic or carbide diff balls allowed.
10. No ceramic diff rings permitted.
11. Stock RJ Speed/BoLink type thrust bearings only. No SlapMaster bearings.
12. Left side (set-screw) hub may be changed to 5311 nylon hub only(or 5314 aluminum set screw hub in Pro class only), and 5309 narrow diff hub to narrow the rear track. Reducing the track width of the car can increase rear traction if needed.
13. No bearing type diff hubs.
. 1Stock steering blocks may be interchanged with Associated equivalent (12E) type block. 2. No inline steering blocks.
3. Springs may be changed and/or shimmed.
4. Front kingpin brace (5240) is allowed.
5. Washer may be placed behind the e-clip on the front axle to prevent pulling thru the steering block.
6. CRC type screw-in axle stubs are permitted.( Local option)
7. Original wire type front steering rods may be bent as needed. Double lock collars are allowed and encouraged on each side of the steering linkage to prevent slippage.
8. Use of ball cups and turnbuckles is allowed.(Pro Class only)
Tires and Wheels:
1. Only Legends kit tires or legends/spec tires (BSR) on factory wheels are allowed.
2. Use of traction compounds is permitted.
3. Tires must be mounted in the direction shown in the kit instructions. No reversing front tires.
4. All 4 tires must be on the car at the completion of a race.
5. All wheels must be nominal 2 inch 1/10th scale wheels. No 1/12th scale wheels permitted.
6. Maximum tire diameter is 2.500 inches.
1. Either brushed or brushless motors can be used. a. For brushed motors: the Duratrax DXTC3301 is a good inexpensive motor for Legends use. b. For brushless motors utilizing the single cell battery, the 21.5 wind has proven successful in several areas with the esc set in non-timing “blinky” mode.
2. RJS5248 Legends motor heat sink allowed.
1. Brushed or brushless esc’s may be used. a. For brushed b. For brushless, use of a non-programmable, non-timing esc is recommended. The use of esc’s that can be set in “blinky” mode could be considered however will require more detailed tech.
1. Battery pack can be multi-cell sub-c cell NiCad or NiMH batteries or hard case single cell LiPo battery.
2. Use of a Deans type connector recommended.
1. All cars will be weighed following each main.
2. Minimum weight without transponder installed will be 36.0 oz/ 1020 grams.(subject to change)
3. Any car may be tech inspected at any time for any reason.
4. Weights must be securely fastened. Any lost weights cannot be stacked with the car at post race tech.
STOCK CLASS EXTRA RULES:
1. We recommend this class for beginner racers and those wanting to keep a starter class and be able to take the running gear out of their Legends cars to start racing the Spec Modified class.
2. All cars will use the Legends legal motor Duratrax DTXC3301 and a 4 or 6 cell Ni-cad or NiMH pack.(Local options for max MAH rating.)
3. 21 or 22 tooth steel 48 pitch pinions only and 81 tooth factory diff gear only.
4. Only original wire linkage or RJS5250 Linkage allowed.
5. No ball bearings.(except in servo)
1. Allows the use of ball bearings, Brushless Motors , and LiPo batteries, any steering Linkage, any 48 pitch gears.
2. Motor Spec and gear selection to be decided by local according to track conditions.